Sunday, May 10, 2009

Ode To Mom

Where do I get my enthusiasm for food? One major influence has been my Mom. For years she stayed at home looking after me and my sisters and there was always a homemade meal on the table at 5pm every night. She taught me how to "time a meal," the order inwhich to prepare a meal so that all the food would be hot and ready at the same time. She taught me speed in the kitchen and how to clean up as I cook so there's less mess after I'm through. I don't remember cooking with her very often growing up but she always had me watch her cook and she told me that even though we were just talking as she cooked, that I was learning how in the process.

In honor of Mother's Day today my sister and I helped with some yard work and good thing we worked up an appetite because my Mom whipped up a rather enjoyable meal. My Mom loves good wine, there's always several types around her home to choose from. Tonight we had some Relax Reisling. Bare Foot Contessa is my Mom's favorite Food Network star. For dinner she made Bare Foot Contessa's Panzanella Salad. It's was as colorful to my taste buds as it is to look at. Hands down everyones favorite dish on the table. She fried chicken in a 100 + year old cast iron skillet (this is a good thing because cast iron is very durable and the older the pan, the better seasoned it is) and served fresh berries and chocolate covered strawberries for dessert. My Mom's philosophy towards food has always been "keep it simple" so you can bet she took pride in having a two-dish dinner.

A quick disclaimer before we get to the pictures. C, who typically take the pictures for my site is out of state visiting with his own Mom so the pictures were taken with a camera phone and don't really do the food any justice so use your imagination, enjoy the pictures, and Happy Mother's Day Mom!








No comments: