Monday, April 20, 2009

Milwaukee Public Market


C and I took a trip to Milwaukee over the weekend. We ate at the most famous German Restaurant in the U.S., Mader's and I had an inventive Gingersnap cocktail at the Branded bar in the Iron Horse hotel. Our best Culinary stop was the Milwaukee Public Market.

I discovered the market walking around Milwaukee during a business trip several years ago. I had a Gingersnap cookie that was so good I promised myself I'd go back again someday. The market is comprised of gourmet food stations including a fresh juice bar, seafood counter, sushi station, florist, meat counter, cheese counter, Middle Eastern food area, Panini shop, and Wine area to name a few.

The highlight of the market is C. Adams Bakery. I've been jaded by bakeries that have deceivingly good looking pastries that are cheaply made with bland taste as the baked items are nothing more than flour, sugar, and margarine disguised by food coloring.


C. Adams bakery isn't your typical old timer coffeecake place. It has primarily inventive grab and go items such as the Wisconsin cookie, homemade graham crackers, German chocolate cupcakes, Red velvet cake bon bons, Mini silk pies, pavlovas, Giant cheesecakes, and bar cookies with names like "Seventh heaven."


We drew quite a bit of attention due to our excitement over being at the market and due to the number of photos we took, one woman asked C if he was a professional food photographer. Seeing our excitement, one knowledgeable customer at the bakery stopped us to tell us she's tried every item at C. Adams bakery and recommended a few items to us. She knew the French and German names of some of the pastries which made us think perhaps she had gone to culinary school so we headed her advice and tried some of the items she recommended.



Here are the items C and I couldn't resist that we had to bring back with us: A Cowboy cookie (spiced cookie with pecans, chocolate chips, and coconut flakes,) homemade Oreo, homemade Nutter Butter, Butter Cookie Sandwich with Raspberry jam filling, Chocolate covered peanut butter cookie, a huge macaroon, and the most amazing cheese danish that i'm certain will be served in heaven ;)



While we'll be sampling the baked goods for the next few weeks I already have alot of great ideas for items I could make at home such as making my own Oreos or Nutter Butter cookies as seen at the bakery.

I also left the market with some soft Manchego cheese and some flaked coconut the size of white flower petals that I will use to decorate Coconut cupcakes in the future.

No comments: